Call for Volunteers
Pathways was created to assist Queenslanders with disability, their families, friends, and carers to find disability advocacy support based on their needs and location, ending the need for people to call multiple organisations trying to find who is best placed to assist. Pathways aims to understand the issues Queenslanders with disability are facing, and provide responsive, detailed, and appropriate information and referrals. Pathways is operated by Queensland Advocacy for Inclusion (QAI).
About the role
Volunteers will be supervised by the Network Coordinator and lead Information and Referrals Officer and be provided with supportive training prior to commencing on the hotline. There is an expectation that volunteers commit to one day per week (9.00am-5.00pm) for three months and provide the days that they are able to volunteer in their application. As a volunteer at QAI, you can expect to be supported to develop your knowledge in areas of disability advocacy and disability issues, as well as becoming part of a team who are passionate about inclusion, accessibility and social justice.
Volunteering with Pathways will provide the opportunity to:
- Develop a thorough understanding of disability advocacy services, community legal centres and not-for-profit support services
- Learn about different state and federal support schemes and how they work
- Develop verbal and written communication skills
- Work from a human rights, person centred and trauma informed approach
Successful applicants will:
- Have a strong commitment to human rights, social justice, and diversity
- Be comfortable answering phone and email correspondence
- Be a team player, willing to ask questions and make enquiries when there is uncertainty
- Assist with the development of resources
- Be required to have a Blue Card and Qld Disability Worker Screening
Please email your cover letter (no more than 1 page) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Pathways Volunteer Expression of Interest.
Should you have any questions about this role, please call 07 3844 4200 and ask to speak to Caitlin de Cocq van Delwijnen.