Emergency Supports
When things aren't going right, sometimes we need a helping hand from the community.

Information about what emergency supports are available.


The Emergency Relief Program provides financial and/or material support to Queenslanders in financial crisis

The program provides support such as food vouchers, food parcels and third-party payments for vulnerable Queenslanders, and aims to prevent future financial crisis by referring people to appropriate financial and social support services.

The Queensland Government have funded services across Queensland to deliver this program. If you are struggling with unexpected financial pressures, and requiring financial support, you can seek assistance from one of the Emergency Relief services found through the search function.


If you’re experiencing homelessness or are housed but at risk of homelessness—including experiencing domestic and family violence you can contact Homeless Persons Information Queensland.

Ask Izzy can also be a great tool to connect people experiencing homelessness to connect with shelter and other support services.

It is recommended that should you be experiencing homelessness, or be at risk of homelessness, that you connect with your local Housing Service Centre. 


‘Respite’ or ‘respite care’ is when someone else takes care of the person you care for, so that you can have a break. Respite can also be beneficial for the person you care for so they can have a break from their routine. A break can give you time to do everyday activities or just to relax, deal with stress and look after yourself.

Carer Gateway is a national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers. The interactive service finder helps carers connect to local support services. To find out more phone 1800 422 737 (free call, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm).

Carers Queensland is the peak body representing and advocating on behalf of carers throughout Queensland. Carers Queensland provides a range of support and accredited training for carers.

Arafmi Queensland supports those who care for, or about, someone with a mental illness. It offers phone support, counselling, family respite, support group meetings and workshops for carers. To find out more call (07) 3254 1881 (24 hours).

Information about support available for veterans’ families is available from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Commonwealth Home Support Program helps senior Australians access entry-level support services to live independently and safely at home. It works with you to maintain your independence rather than doing things for you. For more information phone My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

My Aged Care provides information and advice about disability, aged care and other support services for people over 65 and their carers. To find out more call the Commonwealth Aged Care Information Line on 1800 200 422.

Queensland Community Care can help people with disability under 65 years of age (and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People under 50 years of age) with services provided in the community and in your home. Phone Community Access Point on 1800 600 300.

Livewire is an online community enabling parents and carers of people living with a disability, serious illness or chronic health condition to connect and support one another via the internet.

If you are an older carer, there may be assistance available for the person in your care or for you. Options include in-home support, centre-based respite and community-based support. In some locations, emergency respite and other flexible respite options may be available. Older carers of adult sons and daughters have usually been caring for a long time and often continue their caring role as they themselves age. As this occurs, it is natural—and necessary—for older carers to need some regular respite and support and to start thinking about planning for the future.

Young carers may require different support, compared to their older caring peers. Find out where to get support if you are a young carer under 25. Additionally, Carers from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds may also have different support needs. Carers Queensland offers a CALD program (PDF) which helps eligible people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and their families to receive culturally-appropriate home and community care (HACC) services. Multicultural service coordinators ensure the services match client needs. Phone 1800 242 636.

Finding out you are not alone in your situation can do wonders for your wellbeing. One way of connecting with others is to join a self-help group, where people come together to support each other and share information. Self Help Queensland can help you find a group in your area. Phone (07) 3344 6919 or email.

Caring for a person with mental illness can be challenging, depending on the severity of the illness. Find out how to support yourself while supporting others. If are feeling down or overwhelmed, you can also contact:
– Lifeline on phone 13 11 14 or access their online crisis support chat– beyondblue on phone 1300 224 636, web chat (from 3pm to midnight, 7 days) or email– your GP
– family or friends.

Domestic & Family Violence

Types of abuse in domestic and family violence include: verbal abuse, psychological abuse, emotional abuse, financial abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, harassment and stalking, spiritual or religious abuse.

DVConnect’s Womensline is Queensland’s only 24 hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year crisis response telephone helpline that can contacted on 1800 811 811. Womensline can help Queenslanders who want to escape domestic violence. Their service is for anyone identifying as a female, regardless of age, accessibility, ethnicity, gender orientation, or ethnicity. This includes friends in the LGBTIQ community. Womensline’s goal is to respond to immediate safety needs. They may be able to provide you with: Emergency transport ie taxi, bus, train or plane to remove you from violence. Safe, emergency motel accommodation, specialist crisis counselling, safety planning, information, referrals and support for those living with domestic violence.

When fleeing domestic violence, you may also need someone to look after your pets. Safe accommodation for pets can be found through the pets in crisis service. For more information visit the Queensland Governments domestic violence page.

DVConnect Mensline is a free, confidential telephone counselling, referral, information and support, service for Queenslanders identifying as male, and who may be experiencing or using domestic and family violence. This service is available 9am until midnight, 7 days a week. Mensline can be contacted on 1800 600 636.